Friday, March 18, 2011

Want and Need

Tomorrow is my first 5K! I'm excited and nervous. So far in my training the furthest I've gone is 2 miles. I'm okay with having to walk if I NEED to but I hope I can run the whole thing. I read in another blog that there is a big difference in want and need in running. That really stuck with me. I often WANT to walk but don't NEED to walk. The mental game starts to play in. I start telling myself it is only a want, not a need. When I need to walk I can but until then I push through. Those thoughts have helped me to push a little further, a little harder.

Since this is my first race I'm trying to really figure out what I need to do for preparation. I know hydrating today is key. Eating right as well and having the fuel my body needs to push through to the finish line. Trying to decide what to wear is the hardest part of all. I had no idea finding good, affordable running clothes would be my biggest running challenge so far! I have a few different things pulled out and hopefully I'll be inspired in the morning with the perfect non-chafing outfit. Hoping the new Bondibands I ordered arrive today. I can't seem to find the one I own and I need it! I'm guessing one of my boys took it and sent it to the black hole we have that causes things to mysteriously vanish.

The race is closer to my mom's house, she's running with me so I decided to save myself the drive time tomorrow and spend tonight at her house. I'm very interested to see which of us ends up pushing the other to finish. She is a new runner, but is more physically fit than I am. However, she's never run outside, she's only run around the inside of her home. According to her Wii Fit free run she's running 3 miles. I'm curious to see how accurate that is or how it translates to an actual outdoor run. Whereas I've never run a full 3 miles but I always run outside in the elements.

How do you prepare for a race? What are your go to foods for fuel the day before and the day of a race?

1 comment: