Monday, March 14, 2011

Abs with a twist

Everyone knows that once you have kids your life changes. But until you actually have them you don't realize to what extent those changes are. My boys are 1.5 and 3.5. They absolutely love working out with me, which is great fun and quite enjoyable to watch! My three year old loves to do jumping jacks. He pushes me to do more and more of them. They both love to come in and stretch with me immediately after a run. But the most fun and the most changed part of my work out routine has to be ab work.

I got the bright idea after my run yesterday to follow it up with an 8-minute ab DVD I have. Figured it would be a nice way to work on my core, which after two kids needs all the help it can get. Things started out fine. I laid down on my mat and started the routine. The little one laid beside me and together we worked our lower abs. Oh how I wish I had a video to show you guys of him lifting and lowering his little legs! This is where things got hairy. I'm mid crunch when I feel something wrapping around my legs. My oldest has the resistance band from the Wii Active and is attempting to lasso my legs. The youngest takes this as his cue to begin using my legs as a slide with my stomach as the landing pad. So I'm mid ab DVD, one leg tied up and a 30 lb baby bouncing on my stomach. It was quite the sight! And quite the work out. Nothing causes you to contract and hold your abs together quite like a small human jumping on it! At this rate I'll have a 6-pack in no time!

Having a two-year-old is like having a blender that you don't have the top for. - Jerry Seinfeld

Do your kids have fun working out with you?

3 comments:

  1. Evie loves to workout with me. She also likes to scream faster mommy from the jogging stroller! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I forgot about the cheers from the stroller! My boys do that too. "Faster mommy! RUN!!!" That is motivating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do almost all of my workout at the gym, but when I am home both boys love when we work with the balance ball. They also enjoy when I work on my lower abs because they get lifted up with my legs and get to play airplane. Elijah also loves playing Kinect with us.

    ReplyDelete