Tuesday, March 22, 2011

To run or not to run

that is the question! I have been icing and wrapping my shin splints since Sunday. No running. I've walked a few times but at a stroll pace and not an intense one. I'm really itching to get back out and run. I'm ready for that runner's high again! I think I'm going to give it a go tonight. Maybe just a 1-miler to ease back into things and see how my shins feel.

I wish I knew WHY I got these. The main reasons I've read about for them include:
Over training: I don't feel like I've over trained at all. I hadn't even made it past 2 miles! But I am a new runner so maybe I did push too fast.

Sidewalk running: I do a lot of that but I'm rearranging my typical run course so I'll eliminate or at least minimize those. I so wish we had a great jogging trail here but that is one thing the area lacks.

Flat feet: Definitely have those! I overpronate for sure. Thought I had good shoes for that. Debating if I should hit the running store again and see what they say since they are the ones that fitted me for the shoes. I'm also pondering whether I should invest in a Zensah Calf/Shin Sleeve. I've read great reviews on these and they aren't too outrageously pricey. I already feel like I've loaded up on gear and yet I'm not even a good runner yet! But if it helps solve the problem and can keep me running it would be worth it.

What to do? What to do? What would YOU do?

3 comments:

  1. I would keep icing and start running again in a day or two. Make sure to stretch really good before and after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll have to concur because it is starting to feel worse again. My right leg is fine now but the left just keeps flaring up. Just from playing in the backyard with the boys. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude. suuuuuucks. i totally feel ya!

    ReplyDelete