Sunday, March 20, 2011

#1 in my first 5K!

Okay I didn't actually place #1 but I did get to wear bib #1. Yay for alphabetical listing and an A last name.

My mom came to spend Friday at our house. Lucky us she had the day off. After dinner she and I went shopping sans kids which was awesome. We both picked up a new pair of running capris to wear on race day. Then we headed out to spend the night at her house 1.5 hours away but much closer to the race site. After a decent night's sleep we got up around 6am to get ready for our race. A few minor setbacks later we arrived at the race site just after 7am. It was a gorgeous lake outside Florida Southern College. At first sight we decided there was no way the lake was only 3 miles. We estimated it at around 10 miles, at least!

Thanks Google Images! I forgot a camera.

After a long wait in the registration line (I think everyone at this race had an A-H letter name!) we got signed up, bibs on, race t-shirts acquired and bathrooms visited. It was race time!! We decided to line up towards the back of the pack since we had no idea if we could even run an entire 5k. It was a blast talking to all the race participants and seeing such a wide variety of runners. Before we knew it the gun went off and the race had begun! Such a rush!

The lake was gorgeous, the path was perfect and nicely shaded (always a bonus in Florida!). We quickly established a nice pace and just enjoyed the day. We spent most of the race laughing and talking! Not really race pace but fun for sure! A great way to spend our first 5K.

Seriously! How gorgeous is this trail!

Despite our initial observations it turns out the lake really is about 3 miles around. When we saw the finish line we both decided to pick up the pace and sprint to the end. My mom took off! Speed demon! I had to call her to come back cause we had promised to cross the finish line together! It was a great moment crossing that line knowing we'd just achieved our first FULL RUN 5K! Our time was a slow 45 minutes but the race was a blast and we can't wait to run again in our next race! I think we're both hooked.

#1 baby! Thanks cell phone for this ever so lovely photo of me.

My shin splints held up well and are quickly healing. Whew. I'm itching to run again but I'm giving them some time off to heal properly. Next 5K is April 2nd so I want to be totally healed up and hopefully will be able to beat our slow 45 minute speed from this race.

2 comments:

  1. congrats on completeing your first 5K - love that you were number one....the closet I have been to that was number 7 or 101 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo for completing your first 5k! Hopefully your shin splints heal quickly!

    ReplyDelete