Saturday, February 11, 2012

Progress


My last post was a vent about progress. About not making enough progress to satisfy myself. But I was basing that on other people's progress. What other people can accomplish in a year. Well I'm not other people. I have to compare to myself and only myself.

So I got to thinking about the very first time I tried to do Couch to 5K. My husband and I got it in our minds we'd start running so we tried it. I remember feeling like I was going to DIE that first day. It was 1 minute runs. I remember I could barely make it down one side stretch of our not-very-big-at-all neighborhood. I remember thinking I would NEVER run a mile without stopping.

I was quite thankful at that time to find out within a week or 2 of starting C25K that I was pregnant. So we stopped running and I enjoyed my pregnancy. First trimester sickness prevented my from doing anything more than laying around and binging on bland food.

That little baby is 2.5 years old now and I can run 2 miles without stopping, without feeling like I'm dying. I've completed two 5K runs and am doing my 3rd in a few weeks. I ran a mile today in 11:12 which was a PR. I know that is not fast to most but to me it was. It was the fastest I've ever gone. Now heading down one stretch of side street in our neighborhood is nothing more than a warm up. So those might not be huge accomplishments to some but they are progress. My progress and I'm proud of it. I hope to look back at this post next year and be in training for my 1/2 marathon but if I'm not that's okay to. As long as I'm pushing myself against myself.

1 comment:

  1. Great way to put it all into perspective. You're doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete